Thursday, October 28, 2004

feeling better?

What a loaded question! Now that I am back at work full time after a start to the week I can only describe as a haze, people keep asking me if I am feeling better.

What should I say?

If I say yes, they go on about their merry way with a that's nice or good for you. However, then they expect me to be my "old self" who can multi-task a dozen things on a good day and be relied on to volunteer for more before I'm finished. Besides, it's not quite true. I suppose I am feeling better but not great, and not totally normal.

If I say no, they want to hear details and judge for themselves just how sick I am and should they continue to stay near me. They give me astonished looks and say go home, or are you taking anything (medications I presume)?

What I'd like to say is none of your darn business. I'm here, I'm working, now don't bother me. I don't think that would go over too well.

Maybe I should launch into a long winded description of exactly how I feel from moment to moment so they can hear all about the times when I feel good, and how quickly it can change. I highly doubt they really care that much, or would ever ask me again how I am doing so that won't really work either.

ho hum.

I suppose after the weekend everyone will forget I was sick and stop asking. I guess I can make it through another day!

On the good side- It got me an extension on grad class final project! Hooray!

No comments: